
So many things can make a mom exhausted.
It might be caring for small or many children, cleaning a home or trying to keep up with a very busy schedule. No matter what the situation is it is easy to become exhausted, get discouraged and feel burnt out.
What I have learned over the years to avoid this situation is to pace myself. Do I have to strictly abide to my 'to do' list? Certainly not. It is a tool that was made for me and not I for it! Many women schedule more things than they could possibly do into 24 hours and then get down on themselves when they don't cross off every task. (Can I get an amen from all the perfectionists out there?)---Must I to get all the cleaning done in one day? Probably not, it will still be there tomorrow. Do I have to do all the activities on my schedule? If I looked closely I could probably eliminate something, and the world would still function. We can run ourselves into the ground by doing too many things--even if they are good--because they can take away from what is best. If mom is busy running around living out of the van with her children because the children have too many activities or say if she is involved in ten different ministries at church then that does not allow adequate time to be home. Moms need to pace themselves and slow down as our rigid self-imposed schedules can be our demise. It also takes time to teach and train children and if you are always 'busy' you will not have time for it.
Above are some of the things that can control us, but with a little revised management, wise flexibility, not being a slave to 'how we think' things should run, or feeling pressured by others-- we can surely help to turn our day around. Another important help I would like to also suggest is asking your husband for advice in what he thinks would help through your day. He knows you best and can see things about your life that you may not notice. Prayerfully ask him what needs to be changed in your life and then be open minded to what he has to say. You might be surprised at how his answer will help you.
Surely there are medical reasons that can cause exhaustion (thyroid issues, illness, etc), or physical reasons like not getting adequate nutrition, vitamins or exercise. These are all very important and keep to helping a mom have the energy and vitality to give her best each day so be sure to keep your 'temple' in good condition because that can affect your mindset and activity levels.
I cannot emphasis enough the importance of personal Bible time. The Word refreshes our minds mentally and our souls spiritually. I personally like reading in the morning before my day starts because it gives me 'ammunition' for the day ahead. My personal view on this is if I don't read my Bible in the morning I am similar to a man going into battle without any weapons--and trying to fight on the frontlines! I would have set myself up for failure before I even started.
It is also definitely helpful to also plan in some recreational time. Carve out time in your day to read a book, relax, work on some pages in that scrapbook, decorate or garden. The key is that it is fun for you so that you get a chance to unwind in the course of the day and not feeling like you are always rushed or working.
And lastly, I'd like to point out that sometimes half the battle is in our minds. We think negatively and that wears us out. We don't think like Christians and quickly loose the battle before the day even begins. Bitterness and complaining rule us instead of thankfulness and contentedness. The mind is a powerful thing--if we feel defeated, we will become defeated. People can destroy themselves by merely thinking negatively and not looking to the hope that Christ offers. People can actually make themselves sick and die earlier from worries and stress. A Christian mother would be wise to guard against this kind of thinking and learn how to refute negative thinking with the Word of God.
So when you are tired and weary be sure to lean on the Lord for strength and wisdom:
"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:29-31
For thus say the High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, who name is holy: "I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the hearts of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15
I highly recommend you read Mrs. Amy's article In Praise of Slow.
(The Christian Mother Series-Part 4)
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Exhausted Moms
Posted by custom house at 6:57 PM
Labels: The Christian Mother Series
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment