Saturday, August 8, 2009

Watch Out! I Own Pots and I (almost) Know How To Use Them!

Come for dinner!

(But first, go check out yesterday's blog post, for a giveaway. Click here!)

*******************************************************

In the cool pale morning light, doesn't the dining room look lonesome? Don't you think it needs a crowd of hungry travelers, elbow-to-elbow around it, ready to dig into an amazingly delicious cooked-from-scratch meal?

Well, what are you waiting for? Come on-a my house, I'm firing up the stove
and ovens and pulling down the pots and pans, because --

I have been inspired!


Bon appetit!

My daughter Anne and I went to a matinee yesterday and saw Julia and Julie, the new movie based on --- well, by now everyone knows what this movie is based on. We loved it! Meryl Streep is amazing as Julia Child, the sets are fabulous -- you just want to be there, in Child's kitchen, cooking.


I left the multi-plex wanting to cook!


I mean really cook. Cook like I used to, back in the years B.C.

Before Children.


Back when I made things like trout and fennel en papillote . . .
only to find that Howard loathes fennel, but that's another story.

Once upon a time I was an ambitious cook -- tagine, coulibiac, b'stilla, paris-brest pastry -- when I did a grilled cheese sandwich, the cheese was raclette or gruyere or Bruder Basil, and the bread was coarse and crusty. And the sandwich was as likely to be accompanied by oxtail soup as tomato.


We have unsuspecting house guests coming today. I don't even know them. He is a friend of Howard's from high school, who with his wife is driving from Atlanta to New England -- we are a stop enroute and they are expected to arrive in time for dinner.

I hope they aren't fussy eaters. Poor dears.


I am breaking out the pots and pans, firing up the wall ovens, and --


. . .and rifling through the fridge.

Please tell me your fridge looks like this. I had plans to keep a pristine refrigerator when
we moved here ... NO magnets or pictures or torn-out articles or silly close-up shots of the dog's muzzle.


Yeah, that worked.

Well, time to step away from the computer, make sure the clean sheets are on the guest
room bed, and head into the kitchen. Have a spectacular Saturday! -- Cass

0 Comments: