Friday, April 8, 2011

Color My Worlds -- Part Two



If you look at her from a distance,
she doesn't look bad for her age.


Which is nearly 180 years old.

I mean, any one of us, after that amount of time out in the baking sun without sunblock, battered by the wind and the rain and the snow, wearing only a couple of coats for protection . . . and they are made of paint! -- well, any one of us would look somewhat the worse for wear.
Shutter missing on 2nd floor; attic shutters falling apart!

Worse for wear describes her accurately, when you take a good look.
Shutters missing, and badly fading paint on the north-west side of the house.
Missing shutters on back, with cracked and fading paint.
Yes, definitely the worse for wear!
Ouch!  That looks painful!  (Hey that's a bee in mid-flight on the left!)
So how many shades of green have these shutters been painted?
 It's time.

It's time for That Old House to get the architectural equivalent of the full Elizabeth Arden makeover.
We've put it off long enough, and now, finally, she's telling us that she is tired of wearing
her same old housedress from decades ago.  She needs new clothes!

So . . . what color?


 She's been yellow with green shutters for years, but before that (I peeked!) she was white.
A leaden grayed-out white, with even darker green shutters.

White works for Greek Revival houses.
It would work for That Old House.
I've been dreaming of painting her white, both clapboards and trim, and with black shutters.
But whenever I mention this, I'm usually greeted with "No!  Keep the yellow!"

The surrounding houses are mostly shades of tan or gray.
There is one little white one on the corner.


I think That Old House would look pretty spiffy in white, with black shutters.  Rather elegant.
She hasn't yet whispered to me what she wants to wear now.
But we know she wants a kickin' front door ... maybe deep chrome yellow.  Or orange.
Turquoise.  Possibly Purple.  Flag Blue.  Something rich and sassy.

What do you think for the house itself? White?  Yellow?  Any other color?
We want to get her painted before Alida's June Wedding, so we need ideas now!  -- Cass

Choosing colors for the beach house; I'm obsessed these days.
Click here for Color My Worlds -- Part One.


If it's Friday, then it must be time to mosey on over to Cindy's
My Romantic Home, for Show and Tell Friday.

Click here!



Play nice this weekend!  We'll be gone for a 4-day mini-break in Williamsburg, VA, visiting my brother and his wife.  I've got my camera.



0 Comments: